Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chocolate Pudding Tart

Am I the only one dreading the spring-forward time change this weekend?

In my perfect world, I would go to bed around nine o'clock and get seven full hours of sleep. I would get up and get a run or yoga session in. I would drink coffee while getting dressed and doing my make-up. I would even have breakfast before grabbing my keys and heading down the hill to the park-n-ride for my 5:55am bus.

In reality, my nights end after a few glasses of wine around eleven. I hit the snooze until 5:35am and fall from my bed into the bathroom where there is a solid seven minutes of changing, brushing, and make-upping. I pull on my shoes, grab something breakfasty to eat in the car and rush to catch my bus.

So as you can see, the loss of an entire hour will be devastating to me.

Unfortunately, real life includes the occasional loss of sleep. But it also includes pudding pie... I guess we take the bad in with the good.

 


This is a pudding tart... a crust-heavy situation. Buttery tart shell, creamy (instant) chocolate pudding and homemade whipped cream. Mostly effortless, entirely pretty. Get into it.

Pudding Tart
makes 1-9" tart

for filling:
1 large package pudding (any flavor but I recommend pistachio or chocolate), prepared
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
dash vanilla
2 Tablespoons sugar

for crust:
adapted from www.smittenkitchen.com
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 c butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 large egg
 - - -
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, salt, cinnamon and confectioner's sugar
2. With mixer on medium speed, add in butter piece by piece; mix until dough resembles coarse sand
3. Whisk egg to break yolk and add to dough with mixture on low speed
4. Mix until dough begins to clump together
5. Transfer dough to 9" tart pan (with a removable bottom) and press evenly onto bottom and sides of pan
6. Freeze dough for at least 1 hour
*pre-heat oven to 350
7. Pierce dough with fork and cover with a greased piece of aluminum foil
8. Bake for 20 minutes, remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until golden brown
9. Cool tart shell completely
10. Prepare pudding according to manufacturer's instructions
11. Whip cream, granulated sugar and vanilla together until soft peaks form
12. Assemble tart: remove tart shell ring; smooth prepared pudding into cooled tart shell and top with whipped cream 

No comments:

Post a Comment