It was a run that felt both fast and effortless- a rare combination.
I fell in love and then came home and ate a considerable serving of these bars.
These are your basic lemon bars with a few adaptations. I swapped out the lemon for a more subtle orange flavor and topped the bars with a marshmallowy meringue. Then I toasted it. And then, finally, I ate it.
Crumbly crust gets pressed into a foil lined pan and partially baked.
Zesty sugar is what permeates these bars with orange flavor. There is some orange juice in the filling, but most of the orange-ness is due to the orange infused sugar.
These bars are best enjoyed straight from the freezer. It is a creamsicle with crust.
makes 1-8" pan
3/4 c + 2 Tablespoons AP flour, divided
1/3c confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter
1/2 c orange juice
the zest from 1 orange
2/3 c sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons milk
2 egg whites
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- - -
pre-heat oven to 350
1. Line an 8x8 baking dish with foil and mist with cooking spray
2. Make the crust: in a food processor, pulse 3/4 c flour, corn starch, confectioners sugar, salt and butter until it begins to clump together; press dough onto the bottom of prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes
3. While crust is baking, prepared filling: using your fingers, massage sugar and zest together; add eggs, juice, sugar, lemon juice, milk ans flour; whisk until no lumps remain
4. After the crust has baked for 20 minutes, pour filling on top and return to the oven for 25-30 more minutes, center will appear set (a little jiggle is OK)
5. Cool completely
6. Make meringue: in a saucepan combine all meringue ingredients and cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch
7. Transfer to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment
8. Whip on high until meringue cools and forms glossy, stiff peaks
9. Pipe meringue onto cooled bars and toast under a broiler or using a kitchen torch until tops of meringue peaks appear golden
10. Cut and serve as desired