Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Salted Caramel Sauce- Step by Step

I revisited my salted caramel sauce recipe a few weeks ago and realized it was less than crystal clear. There were no pictures of the actual caramel making process, so I would like to clarify it.


I also wanted an excuse to use this pretty copper pot, a gift from my uncle. It is probably one of my most prized possesions. He got it on a trip to France which makes it appropriately bad ass.


I only use it to make caramel. So lets, shall we?










You definitely don't need a copper pot to make caramel ... I prefer stainless steel or copper just because you can see the color change as your caramel cooks (and prevent it from burning.) Whatever pot you got, make caramel in it!

Salted Caramel Sauce
yields 1 c (easily multiplied)

1 c granulated sugar
water (enough to make sugar and water look and feel like wet sand- I used a scant 1/4 c)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 c heavy cream
5 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
- - -
1. Add sugar and water to pot
2. Cook over medium heat; adding lemon juice when mixture reaches a boil (this will prevent sugar from re-crystallizing) 
3. Cook sugar mixture until it turns a dark amber color (it will just begin to smoke)... it will reach 340-350 degrees 
4. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cream, be careful as it will foam and bubble as the cream is added
5. Add butter and salt, stirring to dissolve
6. Cool caramel slightly before storing and serving

No comments:

Post a Comment