Friday, April 12, 2013

Jam Dots

Hot damn, its cookies for breakfast!

Or cookies for lunch.

Or cookies for post-run snack.

Or, if you are me, it is yes to all of the above.

A while back I made these thumbprint cookies with peanut butter.These are peanut butter-less. They are vegan. They are a coarse mixture of almonds, oats, pistachios, hazelnuts and maple syrup.

They are my beloved jam dots.


A big thanks to Mama Kaune for letting me borrow her food processor... without it these would not have been possible.



These are a dead ringer for the Zoka jam dots. Except they are not miles away. They are in my freezer, overflowing with apricot preserves.

Almond, Pistachio & Hazelnut Jam Dots
makes 9 large cookies

1 c almond meal
1 c bread flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 c quick oats
1/4 c pistachios, roasted and shelled
1/4 c hazelnuts, roasted skins still on
1/2 c maple syrup
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4-1/2 c water
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
various jams, for filling
- - -
*pre-heat oven to 375
1. In a food processor, combine oats, pistachios, and hazelnuts; pulse until the mixture is coarse (I like my jam dots to have noticeable pieces of the nuts and oats)
2. In a small bowl, whisk together vanilla, syrup and oil
3. In a large bowl combine flour, almond meal, salt and cinnamon; add ground nuts & oats to flour mixture
4. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour maple syrup mixture into it; stir until mixture comes together, adding water a few tablespoons at a time until a soft dough forms (I used just over 1/4 c)
5. Scoop out level 1/4 c of dough and place on a prepared baking sheet; you will get 9 portions in all... feel free to make smaller cookies but adjust baking time accordingly (smaller= less time)
6. Using the back of a Tablespoon, make an indentation into the center of each cookie
6. Bake at 375 for 13-16 minutes
7. Cool completely before filling the hollows in each cookie with a jam of your choice

1 comment:

  1. YES!!! I was googling jam dots trying to find the best homemade replication of my fave jam dot thinking..."Man, what's the closest to the Zoka one??" I was doubtful but then ran across your recipe - excited to try!

    ReplyDelete