Thursday, April 4, 2013

Marshmallow Treats

My first position in a bakery was called simply "the krispy bitch."

This meant that at four AM every morning, my first task would be to make two huge pans of rice krispie treats in the steam kettle in my college's industrial kitchen. It is the kind of job no seasoned  baker wants to do, the job they give to the new kid.

Well, the joke was on them because I loved rice krispie treats. I still do.

Overtime I got pretty good at making rice krispie treats. I learned that if you mist your hands with cooking spray, you can press the marshmallow-cereal mixture evenly into your pan. I learned that adding a little corn syrup to the liquid portion of your recipe will yield extra chewy treats that stay fresh for days. I did not, however, learn enjoy cleaning the marshmallow encrusted steam kettles.

After a few months of being the local KB, the bakery hired a new person. I started making doughnuts and they became the krispie bitch. Such is life.

Years later, I am still making krispies.


This recipe has six ingredients. Pictured above are five of them: browned butter (this is what gives it the flecks), melted marshmallows, vanilla, corn syrup and a pinch of salt.



Give it a quick press.



Deep dish browned butter salted marshmallow treats. Amen.

Marshmallow Treats
makes one 8x8" pan

4- 41/2 c Rice Krispies
10 ounces mini marshmallows (you can just eyeball it... it will be just over 1/2 of a standard 1 pound bag)
4 Tablespoons butter, browned
pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- - -
1. In a medium saucepan, brown butter
2. Add marshmallows, stirring over medium heat until completely melted
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt and corn syrup, stirring to incorporate
4. Fold in cereal 1 cup at a time
5. Grease and 8x8 pan with cooking spray and pour cereal mixture into it
6. Mist hands lightly with cooking spray and use your fingers to press cereal mixture into an even layer (this makes deep dish treats... if you prefer smaller ones, use a larger pan)
7. Allow treats to sit for 2 hours (or refrigerate for at least 30 minutes) before cutting

No comments:

Post a Comment