Thursday, May 9, 2013

Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies

It has been nine days since I have had a cup of coffee. Nine. Days.

The first three days, admittedly, I felt like my head was in a fog. I was... terse. I may have made some snappy comments. I may have walked up to the coffee pot at work out of habit and then, after realizing where I was, turned on my heel and retreated, tail between my legs so to speak.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love coffee. When I thought about it, I realized I was drinking about six cups of strong coffee a day. Coffee was my main source of water. So I decided to change it up (for the time being) and go without. I am sure I will eventually find myself back at Zoka, cappuccino in hand, but for now a cup or two of tea is how I am getting my caffeine fix.

My favorite tea is the earl grey variety. I am going to show you three ways to use this tea that will rock your face, cool?


1. Cookies

Upon first taste, people may not recognize the flavors of earl grey tea specifically, but I think it adds something uniquely pleasant to an otherwise ordinary recipe. Adding loose leaf early grey to shortbread gives cookies a subtle floral flavor, the refreshing tea lightens up these buttery cookies.


Bespeckled flour.

These are a slice and bake situation.



These are fancy-pants cookies you can serve at brunch. They are also wholesome butter cookies you can eat/photograph in your pj's... when they are still warm from the oven... smearing butter all over your camera in the process. Here's to drinking your tea, and eating it too!


Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies
from www.foodnetwork.com
makes 1 dozen cookies

1 c AP flour
1 Tablespoon loose leaf earl grey tea
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 c + 2 Tablespoons confectioner's suger
- - -
1. Place flour, tea leaves and salt in a food processor and pulse until flour is evenly speckled with tea
2. Add butter, vanilla and sugar and pulse until dough just comes together
3. Place dough on plastic wrap, roll into a log and (sealing ends) and refrigerate for 1 hour
*pre-heat oven to 375
4. Slice into rounds about 1/3" in thickness and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet a few inches apart
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to brown
6. Cool before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment