Monday, May 20, 2013

Spiced Buttermilk Waffles

The past three days have been a lot of running around and doing things as quickly as possible while also trying to make sure they look like I took my time. I have subsisted on granola, deli ham, green tea and beer. End result? A hell of a lot of cookies and one tired me.

As busy as it was, I am very happy. I am happy because I get to do what I love everyday. I am happy because I have a guy who will take me to work at 4 am, endure my tired-crankiness, and still be excited to marry me. I am stoked that I didn't burn or botch a single one of the 700 cookies I made yesterday. I am pumped because I got to sleep for 12 hours last night and am most likely going to take a nap this afternoon. Things are pretty good.

Waffles are also pretty good.

These are dense, chewy, day-off waffles.


Truth be told, I made these waffles last Monday. Before the early mornings, 13 hour days and handfuls of deli ham. These make for a better lunch than deli ham- truth.

Take a simple buttermilk batter, add fall spices and throw it in your waffle iron.



These waffles are best served with pats of butter and warm maple syrup.


Spiced Buttermilk Waffles
makes 4-6 waffles

1 1/2 c AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
 1 1/4 c buttermilk
butter and maple syrup for serving
- - -
pre-heat waffle iron
1. Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just incorporated
4. Mist waffle iron with cooking spray, spoon batter into the center of the griddle and cook according to the machines instructions (about 3-5 minutes generally)
5. Serve with butter and warmed syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment