Tuesday, May 7, 2013

the grateful breakfast bowl & Hi Lo Review

Jeff and I spent the past few days seeing family in Gig Harbor and Bremerton. There was lots of sun, apricot ale, and being outside. It was pretty great. Yesterday we decided to go to a small cafe in Bremerton for breakfast. The Hi Lo Cafe on 15th St. is worth the trip if you are in the area.


This tiny restaurant has maybe twelve tables, one of which is located in a refurbished VW bus outside. There's a lot of tie dye. You get to pick out one of their mismatched mugs as soon as you order your food and point you to the coffee bar. The people are nice and it is pretty much always busy.



The menu is breakfast, lunch and dinner served all day. What I like most about this place is that the food choices are classic diner food with little twists that make it stand out. They have green eggs and ham made with pesto, breakfast burritos with house-made salsa, strawberry-blueberry pancakes made with fresh berries, and crazy good "moon" biscuits.

Jeff did the omelet thing while I went for their Grateful Bowl, a bowl layered with brown rice, cheese and salsa. One bite in, I knew I would have to make this for myself at home.

I have an inner conflict every time I go out for breakfast- sweet or savory? French toast or eggs and bacon? The beauty of the Grateful Bowl is that it comes with a muffin. In my perfect world, everything would come with a muffin.

So I made my own grateful breakfast bowls today, complete with muffins. I topped mine with a poached egg and salsa. I encourage you to do the same.



Big thanks to Hi Lo for the inspiration. This cafe is located at:
2720 15th St. Bremerton, WA 98312

It is open 7 days a week from 7 am to 3 pm.

The Grateful Brown Rice Breakfast Bowl
serves 2
adapted from the Hi Lo Cafe in Bremerton, WA

2/3 c brown rice, cooked and still warm
1/2 c cheese (I used a mix of Parmesan and mozzarella)
2 large eggs
salsa
salt & pepper
- - -
pre-heat broiler
1. Season cooked rice with salt and pepper to taste then divide the rice into two 6oz ramekins
2. Poach your eggs: bring about 5 c of water to a rolling bowl in a large saucepan; add 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar; reduce water to a simmer; crack each egg onto a small plate and carefully transfer to simmering water, making sure the yolk stays intact; cook for 2 minutes and then remove from water with a slotted spoon and set aside
3. Place ramekins under broiler and cook until cheese melts and begins to brown, about 2 minutes
4. Top each dish with a poached egg, salsa and additional salt and pepper if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment