Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Apricot & Champagne Sorbet

So I am back on coffee. I lasted about six and half weeks without the stuff. I caved last weekend when I made doughnuts. I made buttermilk blueberry doughnuts that I didn't photograph. Instead, I ate two while they were still warm and dunked them in coffee. It is like that book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie... if you give me a doughnut, I am going to want some coffee. It is a vicious cycle.

Speaking of quality reading material, I was reading the May issue of Bon Appetit magazine and a recipe caught my eye.



The beauty of this recipe is that it doesn't require and ice cream maker, just a blender, a ton of apricots and cheap champagne. Sign. Me. Up.




Fresh apricots are pitted, sliced and boiled together with champagne until they are super tender. You could use any stone fruit in this recipe.

Once cooled, the fruit mixture gets pureed and frozen.


This sorbet is a perfect summer dessert. Enjoy it with a spoon. Or scoop some into a glass, top it with more champagne and call it a float. I will give you one guess as to which option I chose...


Cheers!

Apricot & Champagne Sorbet
from Bon Appetit magazine
makes 5 cups

1 c granulated sugar
1 pound fresh apricots, plus a few more for serving
3/4 c champagne (or any sparkling wine)
2 c water
- - -
1. Pit and slice 1 pound apricots and place in a large pot
2. Add sugar, water and wine
3. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and allow to reduce for 10-15 minutes until apricots are very tender
4. Cool apricot mixture completely
5. In a blender, puree cooled apricot mixture until smooth
6. Transfer to a large, shallow baking dish, cover and freeze until solid (I froze mine overnight)
7. Serve in small bowls with slices of fresh apricot or make floats by pouring chapagne over a few scoops of the sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment