Lately things have been a bit busy. Like every-night-has-a-plan-busy. While I like having things to do, I also need a certain amount of do-nothing time.
Some nights I just want to be alone in my kitchen with a boozy drink, baking and listening to the Bee Gees.
So tonight I did that. This is my current favorite drink- spicy rum, ginger beer and a few dashes of bitters.
Take a sip, sing along to Jive Talkin' and bake some banana bread... you know you want to.
I was thinking about it and I am lacking a no-fail banana bread recipe on this blog. This is that. It is vegan, I am not. Vegan means this bread is healthy and therefore a viable meal option at any and all hours of the day.
Tomorrow morning will feature this bread smeared with peanut butter and a cup of coffee. It is only right.
In the mood for something different? You should try:
-Strawberry Banana Bread
-Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream
Basic Banana Bread (Vegan)
makes 1 loaf
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c brown sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 c AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
demerara sugar for topping
- - -
1. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas
2. In another bowl sift together dry ingredients
3. Fold wet ingredients into dry
4. Pour batter into an oiled and floured 9x5" loaf pan and sprinkle with demerara sugar
5. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes (until a skewer in the center comes out clean)
6. Allow bread to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from pan; this bread will keep well sealed in plastic wrap at room temperature for 5-7 days