Thursday, July 11, 2013

Blackberry Pie

Should I talk about how I can't stop listening to that song Blurred Lines? Hey hey hey...

Or maybe how sometimes, when I am leaving work, I look up and see things like this?


Or how about how thankful I am that someone long ago decided to smash together limes, gin and tonic water?


While all of those things are super important, I think I am just going to talk at you about pie.

I really wanted it to be blackberry season. I bought a half-flat of blackberries knowing fully well that I should wait until the calendar flips to August before doing so. I turned these tart berries into a pie and scooped liberal amounts of vanilla ice cream on top. Problem solved.



This crust recipe uses shortening which makes it light and flaky. Whenever I use Crisco I am reminded of the time in my early childhood that I smeared Crisco all over my feet and pretended to ice skate on the wooden floor. Yea- I was a real treat.


Use any crust recipe you like (shortening or otherwise) and fill the shell with berries that have been tossed with sugar, a little lemon juice and flour. 




I did a lattice top for my pie. You could also cover it entirely with dough or make a streusel topping and sprinkle that over the berry mixture. Don't worry if it doesn't look entirely perfect... or if the berries are a little out of season... or if you are so damn impatient you can't wait for the pie to cool completely before slapping ice cream on it and calling it dessert.

Blackberry Pie
makes 1-9" pie
adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

2 1/4 c + 1/3c AP flour
1c granulated sugar, divided
2/3 c shortening
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2-3/4 c cold water
5 c fresh or frozen blackberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon butter
1 egg + 2 Tablespoons water 
vanilla ice cream, for serving
- - -
*pre-heat oven to 375

1. Make crust by combining 2 1/4 c flour, salt, 2 Tablespoons sugar and shortening in a medium bowl; use your hands to break up the shortening and work together until mixture resembles coarse sand
2. Add cold water incrementally (I do it by the tablespoon), working dough with your hands until it comes together and is elastic but not sticky
3. Divide dough into two portions, wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate while you assemble your filling
4. In a large bowl, toss berries with flour, lemon juice and sugar; allow mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes
5. Roll out one of the dough rounds, transfer it to your pie plate and shape as desired
6. Pour berry filling into unbaked pie shell and dot with butter
7. Roll out remaining dough and either use the entire thing to cover the top of the pie completely or cut it into strips and weave a lattice on top of the berry mixture
8. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 2 Tablespoons water to make your egg wash; brush the top and crust of your pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of sugar
9. Place pie plate onto a baking sheet and bake at 375 for 55-65 minutes (you may want to tent the crust with foil for the first 25 minutes of baking so that it will not over brown)
10. Cool pie completely and serve with vanilla ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment