Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cherry Citrus Vodka Tonics

Can it just be fall already?

I want to wear jeans tucked into boots, drink warm coffee on cold mornings, and do the whole holiday thing.

I am not a summer-lover by nature. I (clearly) prefer the colder months, but I guess there are some things I will miss about summer. I will miss it being light out when I walk to work. I will miss being able to leave the house without a jacket. I will miss sitting on our back porch eating chips and salsa for dinner and drinking cold beer.

OK, so I might like summer a little.

One of my favorite summer drinks (besides cold beer) are gin (or vodka) & tonics. They are light, refreshing and just a little sweet.

I made this drink the other night when I began packing up our apartment. Jeff and I are moving over the next few weeks to an apartment in downtown Seattle. I love our new place, but hate packing almost as much as I hate folding laundry.

Packing is made slightly more bearable with the addition of this fruity vodka tonic.

You could call this a deliberate play on a cherry lemonade, or you could call it what it is- muddling whatever fruits I could find in my fridge and pouring vodka and tonic over it. 


My favorite part of this drink are the cherry ice cubes simply because they are pretty.



Here's to packing motivation, cheers!

Cherry Citrus Vodka Tonic
makes 2 drinks

4 fresh, pitted cherries (plus more whole cherries for ice)
4 lemon wedges
2 1/2 oz citrus vodka
8 oz tonic water
- - -
1. Make cherry ice cubes: fill ice tray with water and place 1 whole cherry in each cube compartment; freeze until solid
2. In each rocks glass, muddle 1 lemon wedge with 2 cherries
3. Add 1 1/4 shot vodka to each glass
4. Place 2 plain ice cubes and 1 cherry ice cube in each glass
5. Top off drinks with tonic water and garnish with a lemon wedge

No comments:

Post a Comment