Thursday, August 8, 2013

Dark Chocolate Sorbet


A few important things about me:

1. I get cranky when I don't exercise.

2. I watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall once a week (at least)... usually it's background noise when I am doing mundane tasks like trying to actually fold laundry.

3. That being said, Sleepy Hollow is my favorite movie. 

4. I say I am sorry a lot... probably definitely too much. It is my filler, my go-to retort. I don't know when/why this started.

5. Whenever I go out for ice cream, I will look at every flavor and pick out the darkest chocolate variety I can find.

Dark chocolate ice cream is one of those rare, beautiful things in life. Most people lean toward milk chocolate ice cream so the bittersweet, super rich chocolate variety is often underrepresented. It is my favorite. So I made dark chocolate sorbet.

I know, I know... sorbet isn't ice cream. There is no cream in the recipe. But I promise this recipe doesn't disappoint. Plus it is made with milk, water and antioxidant rich chocolate... health food.




Bittersweet chocolate gets melted down with sugar, water and milk. Stir in vanilla and a little sea salt. This mixture gets completely chilled and then churned.



I scooped this sorbet on top of deep dish chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. Because:

6. I can't leave well enough alone when it comes to dessert.

Dark Chocolate Sorbet
adapted from www.takeamegabite.com

4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 c milk (I used 2%)
1/2 c water
1/4 c + 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch sea salt
- - -
1. Combine sugar, milk and water in a small saucepan; heat on medium until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to steam
2. Add chocolate and stir until it melts and mixture begins to boil
3. Boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes
4. Strain mixture into a medium bowl
5. Stir in vanilla and salt
6. Cover with plastic wrap and chill completely
7. Once completely cool, process sorbet base in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions
8. Transfer sorbet to a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid, at least 3 hours, before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment