Saturday, August 24, 2013

egg in a hole

I have been eating a lot of bread and jam lately. I am kind of abusing my new walk to work... It is too convenient. I get up, throw on my clothes and head out the door. It is pretty ideal. But about an hour after my first cup of coffee I get hungry. Luckily, at my place of work I am surrounded by bread and jam. I know, rough life.

Sometimes a girl needs more than bread and jam.

Not much more, but something a little more substantial.

This is a go-to around our place. It is eggs and toast smash-banged together.


Bread is generously buttered and the center is removed with a cookie (or donut) cutter.




Throw it all in a hot skillet, salt & pepper, and cook until both sides are golden brown and the egg yolk is still runny.

This is best done in a yellow kitchen, though I may be slightly biased. 

Egg in a Hole
serves 2

4 slices of bread (I use whole wheat but whatever you have on hand will work)
4 large eggs
salt & pepper
butter, softened
- - -
1. Heat a large skillet; add 1-2 tablespoons of butter to hot skillet
2. Butter bread slices on both sides
3. Using a small biscuit cutter (or a donut cutter like I did) cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread
4. Place 2 slices of bread in hot skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes
5. Crack 1 egg into the center of each slice of bread and season generously with salt and pepper
6. Cook until the bread is a golden brown, flip and and cook until other side is browned and egg white is firm but yolk is still runny (2-3 minutes per side)
7. Repeat steps 4-6 with remaining slices of bread
8. Toast the centers of bread you cut out in step 3 on both sides until golden brown
9.Sprinkle the finished egg in a hole with a little more salt & pepper and salsa if you are feeling it

No comments:

Post a Comment