Sunday, October 13, 2013

Quick Berry Cobbler

I wholeheartedly love being on vacation. Just look at this picture from my run the other day.


Because I work early mornings, I never get to do the sunrise run thing. Vacation means I can get up and go for a pretty run, come home, eat a muffin and go back to sleep. My ideal life.

Jeff and I have been on vacation for about a week and it has been great. On our drive back up to Seattle, we stopped by his parents house. His mom was kind enough to save some of the blackberries from their garden for us. So naturally the moment we got home I made cobbler.

This cobbler is reminiscent of the kind my parents would make when I was growing up. The recipe is easy: make a batter with melted butter, sugar, milk, a few spices and baking mix (like Bisquick of Jiffy.) Dot the batter with fresh or frozen berries. Bake it. Then enjoy it warm, with ice cream.


While this cobbler is a comforting dessert, it also makes a top notch breakfast when reheated in the oven.

Quick Berry Cobbler
adapted from www.bettycrocker.com
makes an 8x8" pan

6 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 c Bisquick baking mix
1/2 c sugar
2/3 c milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 c fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or a mixture)
- - -
pre-heat oven to 350
1. Pour melted butter into an 8x8" baking dish, swirl to coat the sides of the pan
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together baking mix, sugar, spices, vanilla and milk
3. Pour batter over butter and stir until combined
4. Sprinkle berries evenly over batter
5. Bake for 40-50 minutes at 350; serve warm with ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment