Monday, November 18, 2013

Out & About: Portland Bakeries

I haven't baked at home in a bit. This is because last week a few coworkers and I went down to Portland. We were there to find the best bakeries, take pictures and try their products. I know, rough life.

I ate more croissants, brioche and macarons over those two days than I have my entire life. It was wonderful.

If you are in the area, check out one (or more) of these wonderful bakeries!

Pix Patisserie
2225 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214





macaron: coconut rum, pistachio, maple walnut, passion fruit, salted caramel

goat cheese & thyme tartlette 

 open hunting season: almond, pistachio & hazelnut cake, hazelnut bavarian, apricot jam

 macaronut

 lemon tart: candied violets, pistachio


They had macaronuts... a deep fried macaron. I am pretty sure this goes against everything my bosses believe in. It tasted like funnel cake. If you go, make sure to wash down all your pastries with a cup of coffee from Heart next door (that's there roasting machine above.)

best- open hunting season 
 

Crema
2728 SE Ankeny St, Portland, OR 97214



So we went here... and that is about all I can say. 

ham & cheese croissant; turkey, swiss & dijon croissant; some lemon thing; macarons; cannelle; chocolate croissant; mushroom & manchego bisciut (center)


Perhaps a visit earlier in the day would result in a better review. On a bright note, they make a macaron that tastes just like the cereal Apple Jacks.


best- apple macaron (the green & pink one)

Pearl Bakery
102 NW 9th Ave, Portland, OR 97209




 breakfast: brioche, gibassier, pain aux raisin, pain aux chocolat


eclair: vanilla pastry cream, chocolate ganache

This was my favorite bakery we visited... great coffee and was very breakfast oriented. Don't get me wrong, I love dessert, but breakfast has my heart. And yes, eclairs qualify as breakfast.

best- gibassier (a super soft brioche-esque dough flavored with anise and orange peel, brushed with butter and dusted with sugar)

Lovejoy Bakers
939 NW 10th Ave, Portland, OR 97209






 breakfast #2: baguette, salted caramel tart, almond croissant, pear & wine danish, macarons, comically large eclair 

cherry & blueberry macarons

I loved the look and feel of this place. Also, they offered all of their varieties of bread in roll form which I thought was a really good idea. 

best- salted caramel tart
 

Nuvrei
404 NW 10th Avenue,, Portland, OR 97209






We stumbled upon this bakery and went in with the intention of just looking around, but the customer service was so good that we wound up trying a few things. Some cool things they offer: brioche baked in a tin can and pretzels/bagels.

best- tin can brioche: sliced and topped with rum soaked cherries and walnuts

Two Tarts Bakery
2309 Northwest Kearney Street Portland, OR 97210
We were full at this point. But who can say no the the bite sized cookies at Two Tarts? We bought a bunch of tiny treats to take home and sampled a few macarons. Try their salted chocolate chip cookies. Or their pecan tassies. Or their lemon bars. Or... just go there and sample one of everything.

best- earl gray macaron

St. Honore Bakery
2335 NW Thurman St, Portland, OR 97210








Honore was our last stop. I will be honest, we didn't eat anything from here right away, we brought some home with us. This place is similar to where we work, but it has more of a restaurant feel. Their pastry case is impressive and I love how they display their bread. On past visits, I have enjoyed their namesake (the Saint Honore) and the Opera.


best (looking) - tarte  aux pommes

A big thanks to our bosses who gave us the opportunity to eat our way around this city.

Portland, I love you. But after this trip I think I need a solid month off from eating anything made with laminated dough.





No comments:

Post a Comment