Sunday, November 24, 2013

Spiked Eggnog Quick Bread

I want another piece of this bread. Right now. This is one of those recipes that you keep coming back to. Like, I know the bread is in my cupboard a stones throw away from me. I know that it has sat for about a day which means the glaze has had time to settle in and infuse the spiced bread with all of its creamy rum-ness. I know I am about to casually walk into the kitchen (with no agenda...) and eat another slice of it.


This bread is almost gone and I know for a fact that Jeff hasn't tried it yet. This is my reality people.




The batter is flavored with eggnog, vanilla, nutmeg and a hearty pour of spiced rum.


DO NOT SKIP THE GLAZE. 


This bread is festive and a welcome alternative to everything pumpkin, pecan and maple flavored. It gets better after a day or two of sitting with the glaze... so I would make it a few days before you are planning on serving it! This recipe inspired me to make a similar-ish pie for Thanksgiving (recipe soon.)
  
OK, time for another slice.

Spiked Eggnog Quick Bread
makes a 9x3" loaf
adapted from www.pillsbury.com

1 c eggnog
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, melted
2 Tablespoons spiced or dark rum
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
2 1/4 c AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
demerara sugar
- - -
pre-heat oven to 350
1. In a large bowl whisk together first 5 ingredients
2. Sift together salt, baking powder, flour and nutmeg; add to wet ingredients stirring just to combine (a few lumps may remain)
3. Generously coat your loaf pan with baking spray and dust with flour
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with demerara sugar
5. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean
6. Cool completely before glazing with rum glaze (recipe follows)

rum glaze
1 c powdered suagr
2 Tablespoons spiced or dark rum
2 teaspoons eggnog
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- - -
1. Whisk all ingredients together and drizzle over cooled eggnog bread

No comments:

Post a Comment