Friday, December 27, 2013

Balsamic Roasted Kale and Brussels Sprouts

I burnt my first meal on Christmas day. Like two days ago. I had this idea that I would make scalloped potatoes in the slow cooker. I would prep them and they would cook while we saw a movie in the afternoon. We would return home, have a glass of wine and put the finishing touches on our meal.

I didn't account for Leo Dicaprio and his 3+ hour movie.

We left early and still the potatoes were so burnt that then entire casserole fell out of the slow cooker and into the trash in one, single piece.

Got me good Leo, got me good.

So (after a mini-fit on my part) we tucked into a frozen pizza and watched Die Hard. Justice.

Whether you had a full turkey dinner or a frozen pizza, the day after Christmas seems to warrant fare that is on the lighter side. Personally, I need a substantial yet vegetable-heavy meal.

This is basically this recipe for Brussels sprouts, with kale and balsamic dressing thrown into the mix. Roasting kale gives it a super crunchy texture. It rounds out this meal of bacon, onion and greens. 





Best believe I ate all of this, with a couple pieces of toast.

Balsamic Roasted Kale & Brussels Sprouts
serves 1 as a meal, 2 as a side

1/4 lb fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 1/2 c fresh kale, roughly chopped with stems removed
2 slices thick cut bacon, finely chopped
1/4 c minced onion or shallot
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons balsamic salad dressing of choice (or just balsamic vinegar)
1 teaspoon olive oil
- - -
pre-heat oven to 375
1. In a medium bowl toss all ingredients together until the sprouts are well coated in the dressing, oil and spices
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment, mist with cooking spray and place the kale and sprouts (cut side down) onto foil
3. Sprinkle the bacon and onion pieces that remain in the bowl over the kale and Brussels sprouts, try to get as much of the other ingredients on top of the sprouts so that the flavors will permeate them while they roast
4. Roast at 375 for 15-20 minutes, the kale and bottoms of the sprouts will begin to crisp/caramelize
5. Cool slightly before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment