Thursday, December 5, 2013

Eggnog Ice Cream

My dad keeps his house cold. Really cold. On Thanksgiving we all congregated at his place for dinner. My nephew has this gross, chewed-on security blanket "Dee Dee" that he carries every where with him and this night was no exception. After dinner, Jeff got so cold that he started using "Dee Dee" for warmth. That's desperation people.

Our apartment gets pretty cold too. Yesterday, I finally figured out the silver lining to cold living spaces- ice cream.

All summer I struggled to make ice cream. My custards had the hardest time getting to the soft-serve stage I desired. Trying to make ice cream when it is hot enough out to crave ice cream is no good. You need a cold space to make good ice cream. So yesterday, when the temperatures outside dipped below freezing, I opened my kitchen window, threw on a sweatshirt and made some ice cream.



This ice cream uses eggnog which does double duty: it works as a flavoring as well as the custard element in the recipe. Eggnog's eggy-ness makes it so we don't have to cook our ice cream base before freezing it. Just whisk in a bit of cream, some nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of salt and you are good to go. And it if you care to spike your ice cream (which I did) you can also add a bit of spiced rum.



This ice cream isn't overly sweet. So to remedy that I swirled in a bit of caramel sauce I had lying around.

Cheers!

egg nog ice cream (with a caramel swirl)

2 cups egg nog (without rum added)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2  Tablespoons dark or spiced rum
salted caramel sauce
- - -
1. Whisk together all ingredients except caramel sauce
2. Pour base into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions
3. Scoop ice cream into a freezer safe container (it will have the texture of soft-serve) and freeze for 30 minutes
4. Remove ice cream from freezer (it will be a little firmer but still not scoop-able); dollop caramel sauce onto ice cream and swirl with a butter knife... I used about 3 heaping tablespoons but use as much as you like
5. Return ice cream to freezer for 3-4 hours to fully set
6. Scoop and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment