Thursday, December 19, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers

I am sitting in front of an open window and a fan in a big coat drinking a Blue Moon.

This was not how I expected today to go.

I had big plans for today. I was going to come home from work and hang out with Jeff before he had to work. I was going to do some yoga, watch a few episodes of New Girl (ahem, I mean like half a season... I am binging on Netflix.) I was going to cook myself some dinner and then get to bed early so I was ready for work in the morning.

Instead I came home to a Jeff who looked shockingly like the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins-


-and an apartment absolutely covered in soot. Covered. Everything. We have a studio so when the cleaning crew unexpectedly came to "clean the heater and vent," our apartment, Jeff and our and cats were left covered in soot. Apparently they have never heard of tarps.

I have been cleaning/freaking out for about five hours now. I think I am just about done with both endeavors for tonight.

So, while I sit in front of this fan in the winter airing out my apartment, lets talk about the meal I wanted to make for myself tonight.

Stuffed peppers are one of my jams. They are a meal I loved growing up and one that I make often for my little family of two. They are easy, filling and pretty. Win, win, win.


Bell peppers are hollowed out and filled with a mixture of rice, ground turkey and tomato sauce. They are topped with tangy tomato paste and a melt-able cheese. Then they get baked.


Then they get devoured.

 Except not tonight. Tonight is all about Blue Moon and soot.

Stuffed Bell Peppers 
serves 6

6 medium sized bell peppers
1 c brown rice, cooked
1/2 # ground turkey (or beef)
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
salt & pepper
olive oil 
1/4 medium onion, finely diced
1 small can tomato paste
cheese for topping (I like provolone or mozzarella)
- - -
pre-heat oven to 375

1. In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil until onions are translucent
2. Add ground meat; brown
3. Add sauce and rice to onion mixture, stirring until all ingredients are evenly combined; add salt and pepper to taste
4. Slice the the tops off of your peppers (about 1/2 inch); set aside
5. Remove seeds and core of peppers; rub the outsides (and reserved pepper tops) with a little olive oil
6. Place your peppers into a 9 x 13 pan that has been misted with cooking spray
7. Divide the rice mixture evenly between the hollowed peppers (you may have a little extra)
8. Top each pepper with a scoop of tomato paste and a slice of your favorite cheese; place reserved pepper lid on top before baking
9. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, the cheese will be melted and the peppers cooked through

No comments:

Post a Comment