Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cakey Brownies

These should be called redemption brownies.

Last week I botched both a batch of blondies and one of brownies. In my defense, the blondie recipe I followed had a typo... too much salt. However, I left out the sugar in my brownies so that one is on me.

I have a lot of fudgey brownies on this blog. I have a few that are more cakey, but those are frosted or ganached. So this time around, I decided I would go for mile high, unfrosted cake brownies. After a few tries, I suceeded.


I want to live in this bowl of sugar and melted dark chocolate.


Scratch that, this one has chips... I want to live here.


Wait, wait nevermind...


 Sweet redemption.

Cakey Brownies
makes an 8x8 pan

3/4 c AP flour + a pinch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 c butter
1/2 c + 1 Tablespoon Dutch processed cocoa powder
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs + 1 additional yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 c chocolate chips (I used mint chocolate)
- - -
1. Preheat oven to 350; line an 8x8 pan with parchment, mist with cooking spray and dust with flour
2. In a small mixing bowl whisk together 3/4 c. flour, salt, baking powder
3. Using a double broiler, melt butter and oil together; whisk in cocoa until smooth
4. Remove bowl from heat and add sugars; allow to cool slightly
5. Add eggs, yolk and vanilla
6. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture and fold together with a spatula until just incorporated
7. Toss chocolate chips with a pinch of flour (this will prevent them from sinking during baking); fold chips gently into batter
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (depending on how gooey you like them... I baked mine for 40 for a more firm texture)

No comments:

Post a Comment