Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Herb Compound Butter

I want it to be summer something fierce. I have always been a fall/winter person. I like layering clothes and drinking hot coffee while temperatures drop outside. But for some reason, I have been craving summer. I want to wear shorts, drink iced coffee and go running in warm evening air.

So to make myself feel better, I made a spring/summer butter. This butter has fresh herbs all up in it and, to me, tastes like summer.


Salt, pepper, butter, sage, rosemary and thyme.


Softened butter gets mixed until it is creamy. Then herbs, spices and a dash of lemon juice get folded in.


It is not rocket science, just butter.

This butter is wonderful when spread on a toasted baguette, terrific when added to a breakfast scramble and outrageous when sliced and placed inside of a hamburger. Serious summer food.


Herb Compound Butter
adapted from www.thekitchn.com

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 c finely chopped herbs (I used a mixture of rosemary, sage and thyme)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- - -
1. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until it is smooth
2. Add salt and pepper and lemon juice; mix until evenly distributed
3. Using a rubber spatula, fold in herbs
4. Place butter on a piece of parchment or waxed paper and wrap
5. Refrigerate until firm

No comments:

Post a Comment