The kitchen was buttercream-less and my dishes were piled on the drying rack.
You know someone really loves you when they willingly do your buttercream dishes.
So I made ice cream, to say thank you.
This ice cream begins with these cookies.
There is just something about Mother's Circus Animal Cookies. Maybe it is the waxy icing. Maybe it is their vague (at best) resemblance to actual animals. Who am I kidding, it is all about the sprinkles.
I bought these cookies and after eating a handful knew I wanted to smash-bang them into ice cream. It would be like cookies and cream. With a hell of a lot of sprinkles.
This is a vanilla bean studded ice cream base, which is delicious on its own (or on pie...) Once the ice cream is at the soft serve stage, chopped cookies and few more sprinkles get folded in.
It is truly the best way to say thanks!
Circus Animal Cookie Ice Cream
makes about 3 cups
1/2 c milk
1/4 c + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 c heavy cream
1/2 vanilla bean
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 c Circus Animal Cookies, chopped
2 Tablespoons sprinkles (optional)
- - -
1. In a small saucepan, heat cream, milk, sugar and salt to a simmer (you want to dissolve the sugar)
2. Slice the vanilla bean down the center and remove seeds with the back to your knife or a spoon
3. Remove milk mixture from heat, add vanilla seeds and bean pod and allow to steep at room temperature for 20 minutes
4. Remove pod from milk mixture and reheat to a simmer
5. Place the egg yolks into a medium steel bowl; temper eggs with simmering cream mixture
6. Create a double broiler using a medium saucepan filled with 1" of water; place the steel bowl with the custard over the saucepan
7. Cook on medium-high, whisking constantly until custard reaches 170F; while this is cooking, get out a large mixing bowl and place a fine mesh strainer over it (you will use this to strain your cooked custard)
8. Remove custard from double broiler and immediately strain into the waiting bowl
9. Place the vanilla bean pod back into the custard and add the vanilla extract, stirring well
10. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the custard (directly over the entire surface) and chill until cooled completely
11. Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions
12. When ice cream is at the soft-serve stage, add in your crushed Circus Animal Cookies and allow to mix for another minute to evenly distribute the pieces
13. Using a spatula, fold in additional sprinkles if desired and transfer to a freezer safe container
14. Chill for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight) before scooping!