Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Classic Banana Bread

Yesterday required banana bread. I woke up and I just knew.

Some mornings I feel like if I do not eat within seconds of waking I will keel over and die on the spot. Those are not banana bread mornings. Because while it is known as a quick bread (and compared to most other varieties, it is) banana bread still takes about an hour to make from start to finish.


Yesterday I was feeling particularly patient so I made banana bread in my pajamas. I spent the hour or so it was in the oven drinking coffee and watching House of Cards. And then I slapped a bunch of peanut butter on a still-warm slice and called it breakfast.


 And then I went back for seconds.

Classic Banana Bread
makes one loaf

1 stick butter, melted
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 c old fashioned oats
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger (ground)
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cream or milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 medium bananas, mashed
 - - -
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350F and grease/flour a 9" loaf pan
2. In a large bowl stir together flour  oats, baking soda salt and spices
3. In a small sauce pan, melt your butter; set aside to cool slightly
4. In another mixing bowl, whisk together sugars, eggs, cream, vinegar and vanilla; add butter once it has cool slightly
5. Add mashed bananas to wet ingredients and stir until just combined
6. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, mix your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients
7. Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake at 350F for about 50 minutes (until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean)
8. Cool for five minutes, then remove from pan; allow bread to cool for another 20 minutes before slicing and enjoying

No comments:

Post a Comment