Monday, April 28, 2014

Morning Glory Waffles

Four years ago, I spent a summer working at Metropolitan Market's bakery in Kirkland (it is a grocery store similar to Whole Foods.) I didn't actually bake anything because Met Market buys in everything from local purveyors. Still, it was a job that allowed me to spend eight-plus hours a day in close proximity to cakes and pastries so I was all about it. I spent the summer trying new baked goods from Seattle's finest bakeries and persuading people to buy them.

My favorite part about working this job was my daily break. Most days I would grab a cup of coffee and a Morning Glory muffin that had been delivered from Macrina early that morning. I would take my treats and go sit outside in the sun.

While I am not particularly fond of working in direct customer service, I am a big fan of the Morning Glory muffin: a spiced muffin batter studded with shredded carrots, coconut and (sometimes) currants or raisins.


I used Morning Glory ingredients (save for the raisins) to make these waffles. I froze them so that when I stumble out of bed in the morning, I can simply pop one in the toaster and enjoy it alongside my coffee before work.


I made these waffles a bit healthier because you all know how much I hate a breakfast that leaves me hungry and crashing twenty minutes after consumption. Don't worry, in addition to whole wheat flour and flax seeds there is sweetened coconut, coconut oil and brown sugar in there too.



My favorite waffles are the ones with uneven edges, I think they are prettier (which totally matters at 5 am...)


Make 'em, freeze 'em, toast 'em.

Morning Glory Waffles 
makes 6
(loosely) adapted from The Joy the Baker Cookbook

1/2 c AP flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c almond meal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
1/3 c coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 c milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 c flax seeds, toasted
1/4 c coconut flakes, toasted
1/2 c carrots, grated
- - -
1. In a large bowl whisk together flours, almond meal, baking powder, soda, salt sugar and spices
2. In another bowl mix together the eggs, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until evenly moistened
4. Fold in flax seeds, coconut, and carrots
5. Pre-heat your waffle iron
6. Mist waffle iron with baking spray then scoop a heaping 1/4c of batter onto the center and cook according to manufacturers instructions (3-4 minutes usually)
7. Place waffle on a cooling rack and repeat step 6 with remaining batter
8. Cool all waffles completely before placing in a freezer safe bag, separating each waffle with a piece of parchment paper
9. Re-heat waffles in the toaster for a quick breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment