Monday, June 9, 2014

Chocolate Chip Pecan Banana Bread

It is summer... finally! Let's go for long walks and find new parks. Let's drink iced vanilla lattes from Joe Bar like it is our job. Let's make banana bread often because I keep buying bananas that last about one hour on my counter before turning into bespeckled mush! And also because banana bread is delicious.


I make a lot of banana bread. That is no secret. This time around I was inspired by one of my favorite pies- chocolate chip pecan. This recipe errs on the healthy side because I know that (1) I will  probably eat the majority of this bread myself and (2) I will be wearing a bathing suit at some point over the next three months. So while I replaced some of the AP flour with whole wheat and some of the sugar with applesauce, I also threw rich chocolate and toasted pecans into the mix pie-style. Balance?


Chocolate Chip Peacan Banana Bread
makes 1- 9x5 inch loaf
adapted from the BHG Cookbook

1 c AP flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c mashed bananas
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 c coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/2 c chopped, toasted pecans
- - -
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F; grease and flour your loaf pan
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices
3. In a medium bowl combine eggs, applesauce, vanilla, sugar, oil and bananas
4. Add egg mixture to your dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined
5. Fold in chips and pecans (reserve a small handful of each to top the batter before baking)
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with reserved chocolate and nuts
7. Bake at 350F for 55-65 minutes (until it passes the toothpick test)
8. Cool bread in pan for 15 minutes before removing from pan and allowing to cool completely
*store this bread wrapped in plastic at room temperature for up to 5 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment