Sunday, June 22, 2014

my favorite granola

I have a hunch tomorrow morning is going to include doughnuts and coffee. I just feel it.

When I am not breakfasting on doughnuts, I turn to this granola recipe. It is so good and you can change up the flavor combinations with different mix-ins. You gotta keep the body guessing.


Saying I make my own granola makes my skin crawl. Don't get me wrong, it is damn delicious but I feel like that phrase is going to make people roll their eyes, audibly sigh while at the same time assuming I don't shave my legs. I don't make my own granola to save money or the environment, I make it so that I can turn caramelized pecans into breakfast.


I like to try different flavors every time I make this recipe. Some of my favorites: maple pecan (subbing the honey for maple syrup), blueberry walnut and strawberry almond. Pictured below, banana chocolate chip.


Add yogurt or milk and get after it!

Granola
adapted from www.shutterbean.com

1/2 c flax seeds
1 1/4 c old fashioned oats
1/2 c shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 c nuts (I like pecans or walnuts but use whatever sounds good!)
1/4 c packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons honey
2 Tablespoons coconut oil or butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt
1- 1 1/2 c mix-ins (dried fruit, chocolate chips, m&ms... whatever you want)
- - -
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a small pan, melt butter or coconut oil; add nuts and stir gently to coat
3. Add the salt,  sugar and honey; remove from heat and stir in vanilla
4. In a large bowl combine the cinnamon, oats, flax and coconut; add nut mixture to your dry ingredients and stir until well combined
5. Spread granola onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer; bake at 325 for 15 minutes (if your granola looks a little light, stir and then bake for another 3-5 minutes)
6. Cool completely before tossing with your mix-ins; store in a well sealed container at room temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment