Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Spinach and Feta Pastries

Jeff and I will be celebrating our first wedding anniversary in a month! I can't believe how fast this year has gone. In honor of our 4th of July anniversary, I changed the design of the blog. I hope you like it!

If we were talking over coffee (which I guess we are because I am drinking coffee right now) I would confess that this past month was a tough one. Jeff has been having some health issues recently. For this reason I have been less present around here. I don't want to go into too much detail, but he is doing better and we are in the process of figuring everything out. Our friends, families and bosses have been wonderful during this time. A big thanks to all!

Jeff and I have been cooking a lot. It is one of our favorite things to do together. We have a tiny one-butt kitchen with a built in breakfast nook. One person mans the stove while the other does prep work on the table. It is a nice little system. Yesterday, we made these pastries and ate them immediately after they came out of the oven. You should do the same!

It is a simple recipe because, let's be real, I am not going to make puff pastry at home. At least not this week.


Spinach and crumbled feta cheese get spiced with pepper and nutmeg. That mixture gets surrounded by puff pastry (you can find sheets of it in the freezer section at any grocery store.)




Just look at those layers.

Spinach and Feta Pastries
makes 12

10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon black pepper
pinch nutmeg
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg, whisked
- - -
1. Thaw puff pastry by placing the two sheets side by side on a cutting board for 30-40 minutes, cover them with parchment paper to keep them from drying out
2. Pre-heat oven to 375F
3. In a medium bowl add feta and spices
4. Drain spinach well and add to cheese mixture, stirring until combined
5. Cut puff pastry into 12 squares (use a ruler to ensure they are the same size... or wing it like I did!)
6. On six of the squares: wet edges (I used a pastry brush) and place a heaping spoonful of the spinach mixture onto the center... these are your "bottoms"
7. Top each with another square of pastry and press to seal the edges and encase the filling completely
8. Transfer the pastries onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets
9. Using a fork, seal the edges of each pastry
10. Brush the tops with the beaten egg
11. Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown
12. Cool slightly before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment