Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Simple Syrups

I am doing all the laundry and drinking all the lattes. And by that I mean, I am trudging through post-trip chores and drinking homemade iced vanilla lattes like it's my job.

It is hot inside and outside and this just seems like the right thing to do.

Some excitement... remember when I made some recipes with these extracts? The extracts are now on the market! You can (and should) purchase them online asap. I will include a link to the website at the end of this post.


Over the next few weeks, I'm going to use these extracts to make drinks. Only drinks. Because it is summer and I am not about to turn on my own oven after baking all day at work. These extracts are perfect for infusing simple syrups and spiking your happy hour cocktails with.

So, let's simple syrup.


Sugar plus water plus heat will give you simple syrup. I love adding simple syrup to my coffee because it adds sweetness without the grit of granulated sugar.

The ratio for simple syrup is 1:1... equal parts sugar and water. Simmer these ingredients in a saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is no longer cloudy. I let my syrup cool slightly in the pan before transferring it to a jar and storing in the refrigerator. At this point, the syrup can be used to sweeten any beverage you like.





We are going to take it one step further and flavor our syrups with these lovely extracts.


I divided the cooled syrup between these three jars and then flavored one with lime extract, one with orange, and the third with vanilla.


Slap a label on these syrups and keep them chilled. Then make all the drinks with them. I am excited to share the drinks these extracts inspired with you! Leading off will be iced vanilla lattes.

Simple Syrups
made with Ballard Extracts http://www.ballard-extracts.com/home.html

15 oz granulated sugar
15 water
2 1/2 Tablespoons Ballard Extract's Lime
3 Tablespoons Ballard Extract's Orange
1 Tablespoon Ballard Extract's Vanilla
- - -
1. In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar; stir gently to combine
2. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until all the sugar has dissolved and mixture is no longer cloudy
3. Allow syrup to cool slightly before transferring to a jar to chill completely
4. Divide chilled syrup into three jars
5. Add lime extract to one jar, orange to another and vanilla to the third; stir each gently to combine (I tasted my syrups along the way, feel free to add more or less flavoring depending on your preference)
6. Store sealed jars of syrup in your refrigerator for use in coffees, cocktails and other summery drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment