Wednesday, October 1, 2014

(Spiked) Caramel Apple Cider

I have been trying to enjoy relaxing things more lately. I have realized that most of what I spend my time doing is rushed. I rush through breakfast, rush to work, rush home (while multitasking errands,) go for a run (as fast a possible,) shower quickly... fast fast fast. I love all of the things I get to do in a day, but I find myself skimping on relaxation time and counting the minutes until "the next thing."

To me, a fast pace was always a good thing. In high school I even had a slightly inappropriate track t-shirt that read fast girls finish first. I wore it proudly (and unaware of the double entendre.) While I recognize that a fast pace has its place (at work or even on a run) maybe I don't need to rush through everything else? So I am working on it as best as I can.

I have been trying to do more yoga, reading and just hanging out at home. It is pretty dang nice. Caramel apple cider is nice too...




This recipe is one of my fall favorites! It has become a tradition around our house. Once the calendar flips to September Jeff will ask me when I am making caramel for cider. It is a thing.

You can make this toddy spiked or not. Either way, it is spicy and wonderful  - the ideal reading companion.

 Cheers!

(Spiked) Caramel Apple Cider
serves 2

12 oz apple juice
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves (or a pinch of ground cloves)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch allspice
pinch ginger
4 oz rum, optional (dark or spiced rum is best)
caramel sauce (recipe follows)


Caramel Sauce
1 c granulated sugar
2-3 tablespoons water (enough to make sugar look like wet sand)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 c heavy cream
5 Tablespoons butter
- - -
1. Make caramel following this recipe and tutorial
2. Combine juice, spices and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan and bring to a boil
3. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of caramel in the bottom of two mugs
4. If you are spiking your cider, add 2 oz rum to each mug, stirring to combine
5. Top with hot spiced apple cider, stirring gently to incorporate
6. Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment