Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chunks

It's official, I can't sleep in anymore. I get up for work around 4am so on my days off, even though there is no reason for it, I find myself waking up around that same time. Mostly I wake up because our little girl (have I mentioned we are having a girl? We are!!) is kicking me. It is her not so subtle way of telling me to get my ass out of bed and get her a snack. I love her already.

I really love these mornings, mornings that I can wrap myself in a sweatshirt and a blanket and drink my (decaf) coffee. I usually write or read. I know pretty soon mornings like these will be few and far between so I am trying to enjoy them as much as possible!

In other news, I made these cookies. They are big and full of brown butter and chocolate. I put some oats in there too because balance. Oats mean they are basically a granola bar.


Butter is used in two ways here, creamed with sugar and browned until toasty... one for texture the other flavor.



These cookies are best enjoyed with coffee at around 4:30am while listening to the Amos Lee Pandora station. Just take my word for it.

Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chunks
adapted from the Joy the Baker Cookbook
makes 1 dozen large cookies

1 3/4 c AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons molasses
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
2 sticks butter, room temperature & divided
3/4 c old fashioned oats
1 c chocolate chips/chunks
- - -
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, brown 1 stick butter; remove from heat and cool slightly
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream remaining stick of butter with sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes)
3. Scrape the bowl down and add eggs, vanilla and molasses; mix until combined
4. Stream in cooled browned butter; mix until fully incorporated
5. In a separate bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add dry ingredients all at once to the butter mixer; mix on low until combined
6. Add oats and chocolate and mix on low to evenly distribute (don't over-mix... 10-20 seconds should do it.)
7. Cover dough with plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes
8. Pre-heat oven to 375F and line two baking sheets with parchment
9. Using a large cookie scoop, portion dough out into 12 cookies** (6 per sheet); bake at 375F for 13-15 minutes (edges will begin to brown and centers may looked slightly underbaked)
10. Cool slightly before enjoying!

** This recipe makes 12 large cookies, if you want smaller cookies adjust baking time accordingly as smaller cookies will take less time in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment