Monday, February 23, 2015

Chocolate Truffles

I am currently putting off packing. No matter where I am going or how excited I am to be going there, I will forever suck at packing. I put it it off until the day before when I hurriedly smash clothing into a bag. The day is young and I have coffee to drink, I am still a few hours away from chaotic smash-bang packing. Let's talk about chocolate truffles in the meantime.

In the past, I would make a simple 1:1 ganache, scoop it, chill it, and dip it in melted chocolate. BOOM, truffles! That recipe is just fine, but it was missing something. My truffle filling was soft and just... different from the truffles you get in a box on Valentine's Day.

This time around, I borrowed a book all about chocolates from a coworker and the results were pretty damn good. To make these truffles you will need a kitchen scale and a little time. You will also need butter.



This is ganache that has been fortified with a pat of butter, glucose (you can also use corn syrup) and Chambord for raspberry flavor. Don't worry, I set some ganache aside before adding the booze so that me and baby could eat a few candies. Not into raspberry? Use whatever liqueur you like, add a few drops of an extract or simply leave the ganache plain. The truffles will be delicious either way.

The ganache is left alone to set up at room temperature, agitated (by stirring) then portioned out with a tiny cookie scoop. After a quick chill, the truffles get shaped into balls and coated with delicious toppings. I went with cocoa powder and toasted coconut respectively.



Ok, enough about chocolate. My coffee is gone and I think it is time to actually pack. For real. Tomorrow I am heading to France with some coworkers to eat all of the pastries and bread! I will be back next weekend with lots of pictures and, most likely, a slightly bigger baby bump. Or at that point will it be more of a butter bump? I think so.

Basic Chocolate Truffles
adapted from Chococlates & Confections (Greweling)
makes about 2 dozen small truffles

100 grams heavy cream
30 grams corn syrup (or glucose if you have it)
200 grams dark chocolate, chopped
5 grams unsalted butter, soft
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
optional: 20 grams of your favorite liqueur (I used Chambord to make raspberry candies)
1- 1 1/2 cup coating of choice: there are many options a few being cocoa powder, sprinkles, chopped nuts, and toasted coconut
- - -
1. Place chopped chocolate into a medium mixing bowl, set aside
2. Bring cream and corn syrup (or glucose) to a boil in a small saucepan
3. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and allow to sit for 1 minute to melt
4. Gently stir chocolate mixture until glossy; add butter, vanilla and liqueur (if using) and stir until melted/combined
5. Cover with plastic wrap (make sure to press it directly to the surface of the chocolate mixture) and allow to set at room temperature until set/pliable in texture (about 1 hour)
6. Using a fork or spoon stir the ganache (this is called agitation and will cause crystallization)
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment; using a small cookie scoop (mine is about 1 1/2 teaspoons) portion out ganache placing each truffle onto the parchment lined baking sheet
8. Refrigerate the truffles for 15-20 minutes
9. Place whatever you are coating your truffles in (cocoa, sprinkles, coconut...) into a small bowl
10. Using your hands, roll the truffles into balls; toss each truffle in the topping until completely coated
11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment