Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Hummus

I have always been a snacker, but now that I am pregnant it has gotten a bit ridiculous. I eat like a hobbit. Every hour or two I am hungry. I have had to start bringing a snack bag to work so I don't eat a hunk of bread with jam every time hunger strikes.

Hummus and crackers is one of my absolute favorite snacks. It can also be easily made into a snack-meal by serving it with some veggies, cheese and wine. I miss wine.

Hummus is painfully easy to make. This recipe is super flavorful and comes together in a food processor in about five minutes.



You could get creative and add in other flavors you like (some roasted red peppers, extra garlic, sundried tomatoes...) This recipe is a (delicious) starting point. Happy snacking!

Hummus
makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans); liquid removed and rinsed
1/4 c tahini paste
2 large garlic cloves
1/4 olive oil, plus more for finishing
2 lemons, juiced
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt & pepper, to taste
1/4-1/2 c water (depending how thick you like your hummus)
- - -
1. Place all ingredients except water into a food processor
2. Mix on low 2 minutes; scrape down sides
3. Mix on high until smooth and creamy (3-5 minutes)
4. With food processor on low, stream in water until hummus is the consistency you like
5. Transfer hummus to a bowl, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with paprika before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment