Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Real life in the kitchen

I spend a good amount of my daily life in one kitchen or another. What is not often displayed on these pages is how often (and well) my husband cooks. In fact he probably cooks more of our meals than I do. While my baking/dessert game is strong, I tend to under-season "real" food. I also tend to rush through making dinner, whereas Jeff spends more time cooking and tasting. Making meals is a collaborative effort in which I am more of a prep cook and I am 100% OK with that. Just tell me what to chop.

One of my favorite parts of cooking together is listening to Jeff talk while he cooks. He explains things to me like:

(In reference to using KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce)
Me: "What kind of sauce should I get?"
Jeff: "Hannah... if you want to make a masterpiece, use KC Masterpiece."

Me: "When is dinner, I am effing starving."
Jeff: "Pump your breaks. This is a sauce-ess."


A few years ago Jeff made me my dream watermelon birthday cake.



Lately, I have been all about strawberry and vanilla things. A few days ago, Jeff brought out the cake pans and made me one of the best cakes I have ever had. He made a vanilla cake filled with strawberry jam, vanilla mascarpone frosting and decorated with fresh strawberries.



I would show you a picture of one of the slices, but this cake is long gone. Long. Gone. Seriously though, that frosting...

I thought it would be fun to do a quick glimpse of real life behind the staged photos of cookies I often post. From my blog entries it may look like I never leave the kitchen. However, if you were to come over for dinner, odds are Jeff would be the one cooking (and if you are lucky he would be making mustard glazed pork tenderloin.) But the impeccably chopped vegetables? That would be all me.


No comments:

Post a Comment