Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie

Good morning, it is a day off over here and I am enjoying it by listening to Amos Lee and drinking cinnamon coffee. Later this morning I get to go into the doctor and hear little baby Kaune's heartbeat, something I look forward to in between each appointment. She has been moving like crazy lately! The other night we were eating berry shortcake and she kick-punched me so hard my whole stomach shook. Apparently she is a fan (and probably the reason I have been leaning towards fruity desserts lately.)

In addition to all the fruit, I have been drinking this smoothie on the regular. I saw the recipe for "overnight oatmeal cookie smoothie" on a fellow blog and was inspired to make a version that was a little less high maintenance. The recipe called for soaking oatmeal in almond milk overnight and, to be honest, I just don't have the forethought to do that. A smoothie is not something I plan out ahead of time it is something I make as fast as possible when I get back from the gym to get food into my body asap.

So I made a quick oatmeal cookie smoothie to share with you. It is really delicious, filling and takes less than five minutes to make. I like to make this smoothie when I need something a bit more substantial than the average green or fruit based concoction.


I totally knocked my oats over in the process of taking this picture. My clumsy-ness is getting outta control. This smoothie is made by blending up a banana, oats, almond milk, a scoop of peanut (or almond) butter, cinnamon and a bit of cocoa powder. Add ice, a few cocoa nibs (I used dark chocolate chips because that is what I had on hand) and you are good to go.



Dust with some cinnamon and drink up! Seriously, it is like a tall glass of cookies.

Quick Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie
makes 1 large smoothie

1 banana, chopped
1/2 c old fashioned oats (toasted and cooled if desired)
1 c almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for dusting
1 Tablespoon peanut (or almond) butter
3-4 ice cubes
1 Tablespoon chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
- - -
1. In a blender combine first seven ingredients on high until smooth
2. Add in ice and blend until no large chunks remain
3. Add chocolate chips or cocoa nibs and blend for a few seconds (until you see flecks of chocolate moving around the blender)
4. Pour smoothie into a tall glass, dust with cinnamon and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment