Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Fruity Pebbles Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches

My favorite cereal: Fruity Pebbles. It is the cereal that peeks out at me when I walk down the cereal aisle. I quickly push my cart past the Flinstone's, trying not to make eye contact on my way to the Shredded Wheat I know I should be buying. Sometimes, I give in and buy a box. Last week was one of those times.

 

I decided to turn my favorite cereal into a macaron. Instead of buttercream or ganache, I filled them with strawberry ice cream. They are pretty much portable bites of cereal and milk. Kept in the freezer, these are ideal for snacking on in the middle of the night when you are too hot and uncomfortable to sleep. Just me?







I flavored my meringue with a bit of lime extract to enhance the fruity-ness of the pebbles. It worked. These cookies are a gem. Make them and eat them while standing in front of the freezer. It is the only way.

Fruity Pebbles Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches
makes about 2 dozen

1 c powdered sugar
1/4 c almond (or cashew) meal
1/4 c Fruity Pebbles cereal, crushed into a fine powder + some whole "pebbles" for garnish
2 large egg whites
5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon lime (or other citrus) extract
 softened strawberry ice cream, for filling
- - -
Follow the steps in this recipe making the following adjustments:
1. Add the citrus extract to the whites for your meringue and whip as normal
2. Sift the cereal into the powdered sugar and nut meal
3. After you have piped your macarons and they have rested for about 15 minutes (they will still be a little tacky) sprinkle half with a few whole Fruity Pebbles for garnish
4. Bake and fill the cookies according to the recipe, using softened strawberry ice cream in the place of buttercream or ganache (use a small cookie scoop to portion ice cream onto the bottom shells of your macarons before sandwiching)
5. Store the finished macarons in the freezer

No comments:

Post a Comment