Saturday, May 2, 2015

Toffee Bars

I officially feel like a camel. Wait, are camels thirsty all the time? Or are they able to stay hydrated on little water in the desert? I don't know. All I know is that I cannot get enough to drink! As I write this I am currently drinking water and am slightly sad that I am so full that I can't drink more water... is that a thing? Lately I am all about beverages, as in I will choose them over actual food. My days are a steady stream of water, lemonade (pink preferably) and coconut water. Oh and a small cup or two of coffee. Old habits die hard.

It is a busy time around these parts as we prepare for baby Kaune's arrival (a month-ish away... gah!) I haven't been in my kitchen nearly as much as I would like. Well, I mean, I have been in the kitchen snacking but not making anything worth talking about. No cool or crazy cravings here, mostly just the liquids. All. Day. I did make some cookies worth discussing. The recipe is one of my go-to Christmas cookie recipes but I want to share them because they are (1) easy (2) damn good and (3) easy. Oh have I mentioned my brain has officially left the building? Pregnancy brain is real. I keep it together pretty well at work, but at home I lose my phone a few times a day, misplace my keys and forget if I turned off burners. I am a hot mess.

So these bar cookies... they are the opposite of a hot mess. They have it all together in three layers. The base is a lovely blondie-esque cookie.



Second layer: chocolate. You could splurge and go with fancy, artisanal chocolate. I prefer Hershey's, it's tradition. Whatever chocolate bar you choose gets broken up and placed on the warm cookie to melt.



The final layer is simply chopped walnuts.



This recipe is a classic. Want to change it up? Swap out the walnuts for pecans and drizzle with caramel before slicing. You could also use white chocolate instead of milk or dark chocolate and top it with chopped macadamia nuts. My next batch, however, is going to involve toasted marshmallows because s'mores = summer.

 

Toffee Bars
makes a 9x13 pan

1 c butter, soft
1 c brown sugar
2 c flour
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 chocolate bars
1/2 c chopped walnuts
- - -
Pre-heat oven to 350F; line a 9x13" baking pan with foil and mist with baking spray
1. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle
2. Add egg yolk and vanilla
3. Combine baking soda and flour and add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
4. Transfer dough into prepared pan and press into an even layer
5. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes (cookie will look soft and just brown around the edges)
6. Remove from oven and immediately place chocolate bar pieces on top of hot cookie in an even layer
7. Spread chocolate evenly and top with walnuts
8. Cool completely before slicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment