Today is cool and rainy, the air perfumed with warm brownies that just came out of my oven. I wish my house smelled like this always. Or Rosemary's head after I give her a bath. Or buttered popcorn. Or... wait what were we talking about again?
These brownies are the definition of simple and uncomplicated dessert, easy to stir together with one hand while you hold a baby in the other. These brownies also happen to kick ass- the perfect balance of cakey and fudgy.
Did I mention these brownies are gluten free? Hipsters rejoice!
Gimme that crackle.
Gluten Free Brownies
1 c chocolate chips
1/2 c (8 Tablespoons) salted butter**
1 c sugar
1 c almond meal
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
** If you only have unsalted butter add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- - -
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F; line an 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper and mist with baking spray
2. Over a double boiler, melt together chocolate and butter, stirring gently until smooth; set aside to cool for five minutes
3. In a medium bowl whisk together almond meal, salt, cocoa, and baking powder; set aside
4. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla
5. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the egg mixture, whisking until combined
6. Fold in dry ingredients to the chocolate/egg mixture
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes
8. Cool brownies completely before slicing and enjoying!