Sunday, November 27, 2016

Profiteroles

This Thanksgiving was one of my favorites to date, possibly because I ate three separate Thanksgiving meals within about 24 hours...

Three turkey-filled meals and not one slice of pie! How did I pull that off? I blame it on the fact that my path never crossed a pecan pie.

There was no pie, but there were tiny choux pastries filled with ice cream and dusted with powdered sugar. Little profiteroles that are gone before you realize that they were there, leaving a trace of powdered sugar on your lips.
Choux pastry is just water, a pinch of sugar&salt, butter, flour and a couple eggs. I added some spice for a bit of extra flavor, but this eggy pastry is perfect plain and simple. Most commonly choux pastry is piped, filled and glazed as an eclair. I lopped the tops off of my choux and filled them with chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

New to choux? This article has some helpful tips and piping/baking techniques.

Jeff got me the Mary Berry baking book for my birthday this year and I am planning on making just about everything in it. For those of you who haven't watched her on The Great British Baking Show on Netflix, stop what you are doing and go watch it. Delightful. In her book, Mary Berry has a small batch recipe for choux pastry and I used that as my base for these profiteroles.
Bite sized dessert, perfect with coffee after a big meal (or in my case, three meals...)

Choux Pastry (for profiteroles)
adapted from Baking with Mary Berry

4 Tablespoons butter, cubed
1/2 c water
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar (granulated)
1/2 c AP flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, if desired
2 eggs, lightly beaten + 1 egg beaten for brushing pastry
- - -
1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt together the butter, water salt and sugar; bring to a boil
2. Remove from heat and add flour & cinnamon if using, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a soft ball
3. Let mixture cool slightly then add the 2 eggs, mixing with the wooden spoon until it becomes a shiny, smooth paste
4. Pre-heat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a sillipat
5. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star tip with the chox paste; pipe into small 1" rounds (rosettes) leaving about 1" of space in between (you can also simply scoop small rounded tablespoons of the paste onto your prepared baking sheet)
6. Brush the top of each rosette with the remaining beaten egg
10. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, lower oven temperature to 375F and bake for another 20 minutes
11. To make profiteroles: cool your baked choux completely before slicing in half, filling with a small scoop of ice cream, replacing the top half and dusting with powdered sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment