Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Lemon Blondies

When I was in college I worked at the campus bakery. I would get up at 3:45am, quickly throw on my jeans and hoodie that smelled like the donuts I made every morning and run to work. During the week, this was my routine.

Saturdays were different though. Well, I guess it would be more like Friday nights to normal people. Starting before the bars closed, I would be at work with the lead baker for brunch production. There were the usual suspects... donuts, quick breads, parfaits, rice krispie treats. But brunch also meant mini cheesecakes, petite scones, two-bite cinnamon rolls and other tiny treats. Saturdays were my favorite days.  

Of all the things we made for brunch, my favorite were the lemon scones. They were soft, dense and studded with zest. I loved those scones. I loved that job. 

Stick with me.

Fast forward seven or eight years (oof.) Jeff made blondies yesterday. Lemon blondies. Lemon blondies that taste exactly like those scones of my past. You know that scene in the movie Ratatouille where Ego first tastes the ratatouille Remy makes for him, that was me.

Image result for ratatouille movie ego eating

Major nostalgia for that time in my life. It is so funny how food can do that to us. 

Follow this link to see some snapshots of my college job taken by flip phone! They are blurry and a little wonky and perfectly capture that time in my life. I am in a few of them and I look pretty much the same, albeit less sleep deprived.

You should also make these blondies because they are lemony and dreamy and perfect for this winter/spring limbo we are in right now.





Lemon Blondies
adapted from wwww.a-kitchen-addiction.com
makes an 8x8 pan

1/2 c coconurt oil, room temperature
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
zest of 2 small lemons (2-3 Tablespoons)
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/2 c AP flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 c seeds (sunflower or whatever you want)
- - -


1. Preheat oven to 350; grease/flour an 8x8 pan
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the coconut oil and sugars
3. Add lemon juice, eggs, and vanilla and beat until creamy
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the stand mixer and mix until combined
6. Add the seeds and mix until evenly distributed (the dough will be thick)
7. Spread the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, the edges will just begin to brown
9. Cool completely before enjoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment