Saturday, February 18, 2017

Turmeric Tea

This past fall, I was sick all the time. It was a perfect storm of a baby in daycare (hello, germs) a long commute on a crowded ferry and a lack of sleep. While cold medicine can work wonders, I started looking into things that could help me ward off colds and boost my immune system. I stumbled across Gina's recipe for turmeric tea and have been hooked on it ever since.


This tea has a lot of good stuff in it, here's the gist (info comprised from www.fitnessista.com and www.wellnessmama.com)

1. Hot/warm water promotes healthy digestion and improves circulation.

2. Lemon juice boosts your immune system (lots of vitamin C and potassium)

3. Apple cider vinegar stabilizes blood sugar and fights infections

4. Honey has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties

5. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory

6. Cayenne is also anti-inflammatory, boosts metabolism and can help digestion

I like to drink it first thing in the morning or when I get home from work in the afternoon in place of my afternoon coffee. This drink is sweet, savory and spicy all at once. Cheers to keeping sickness at bay!

Turmeric Tea
serves 1

10-12 oz boiling water
1-2 teaspoons raw honey
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/4 small lemon
pinch cayenne pepper
- - -
Mix all ingredients together in a mug, adjusting the amount of honey and pepper to fit your individual taste (I use about 1 teaspoon honey and a small pinch cayenne.)

No comments:

Post a Comment