Friday, February 24, 2017

Whole Wheat Squash Muffins

It is no secret Jeff and I love to eat. While we try our best to diversify and keep our menu rotating, there are a few constants in our kitchen.

There are always berries in our fridge and freezer. I call Rosemary the berry bandit. Our girl can go through a half pint of berries before we are done grocery shopping.

There is always at least one jar of peanut butter in our cupboard. Usually two. I go through about a jar a week (more if I am running a lot.)

There is always a big batch of my favorite granola for parfaits and adding to smoothie bowls.

And we always have muffins for a quick snack or breakfast.


These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil, pureed squash and are sweetened with maple syrup. They are healthy muffins that are also addictive and toddler approved (win, win, win.) I have made these muffins with both pumpkin and sweet potato puree but you could use acorn or butternut for sure!

These muffins are delightful on their own but I find I like them best when they are topped with a generous scoop of peanut butter. Shocking, I know.

Whole Wheat Squash Muffins
makes 12
adapted from www.pbfingers.com

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon coarse grain salt
2 eggs
1/2 c maple syrup
1/2 c coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 c squash puree (I have used both sweet potato and pumpkin but you could sub butternut or acorn as well!)
- - -
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with paper baking cups
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt; set aside
3. In a larger bowl, combine the eggs, squash puree, syrup, oil and vanilla, mixing until smooth
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the squash mixture, the mixture may appear a little lumpy that is ok!
5. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin filling each well about 2/3 of the way full (I use a large cookie scoop for this)
6. Bake muffins at 350F for 18-20, the tops will be domed and spring back to the touch
7. Cool completely before enjoying

These muffins will last stored in a sealed container for about four days (though I doubt they will survive that long!)

No comments:

Post a Comment